Painted Storage Chest for Entryway

One of my favorite recent finds at Goodwill was this walnut chest for $30. I’ve always been wanting something for the underneath our wall cutout between the great room and kitchen and thought this piece would be perfect, but wanted to switch it to black.

So here is the before… and after! Here’s how I transformed the piece:

Once I got it home, I removed all of the old brass hardware. I was thinking of switching it out to something new and modern, but thought a coat of metallic silver might be worth a shot since I really loved the current hardware. It was a little ornate and out of the ordinary! Luckily the metallic paint did the trick and I think it will really pop against the black.

Once I knew I was going to keep the current hardware and holes, I used a light grade of sandpaper to quickly run over the entire console to get rid of any bumps. I washed the entire piece with a towel and water to make sure no grime was leftover or dust from the sandpaper.

When it was all clean and dry, I lightly primed the chest with two coats of Krylon black primer and let it dry overnight.

The next day I coated the entire unit in Krylon flat black spray paint, including the inside shelf and the inside of the doors. Once it was done drying, I used Minwax satin polyurethane as a protective top coat to give it a little bit of a shine. I didn’t want it overly glossy, so the satin was a perfect fit. At first it seemed quite glossy, but once it dried and I wiped it down with a wet cloth, the paint really became subdued.

I put the shelf back in place and attached the hardware and moved it to my desired location in the foyer. Ah, so in love with the finished product! The satin finish fits perfectly with my current pieces in the room and the black really pops off the wall.

So again, here’s the before space and after!

So, total costs: $30 for the furniture from Goodwill, $8 for the two bottles of Krylon black primer, $7 for the two bottles of Krylon flat black spray paint, $5 for the Rustoleum metallic silver spray paint and $7 for the Minwax satin polyurethane. Total cost was $57 and some change, but of course I have some leftover paint as well to use for future projects. Love it :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Email

LIKE THIS POST? FOLLOW ALONG FOR MORE…

Comments

  1. Ginger Snaps says

    Hi! Following from the newbie party. Love this! I’ve got a new blog, too, and I just started my own weekly link party each Wednesday. Would love to have you drop by & link up! :)

    Ginger
    gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

  2. says

    You’re right! That is almost the same as the one I painted black. It is a great shape and size for tight spaces.

    Are you coming to my party? I am pretty sure I already invited you the other day, but just in case…

    I host a party on Wednesdays that is a showcase for bloggers with less than 500 followers…. and I would like to invite you! (the linky is open now)

    xoxo BunnyJean @ BunnyJean’s Decor and More!
    http://www.BunnyJeansDecorAndMore.blogspot.com

    I am # 141 in the Met Monday party.

  3. says

    It’s beautiful! I think there’s an old TV cabinet just like that one in my grandmother’s attic gathering dust. I have a plan . . .

  4. Miss Kitty says

    You are right! The black really pops against the light wall. Great job. I am thinking of painting a light pine piece I have had forever black but have’nt gotten up enought courage. Seeing your transformation has helped me visualize it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *