Haven Conference Recap {Part One}

I’m pretty sure most of you know that I was at the Haven Conference last week. Yep, it was life changing! One of the absolute best experiences I’ve had thus far as a blogger… ok, probably THE BEST experience I’ve had! I’m sure this will be one of many posts (let me apologize in advance for that one but I promise I’ll share a bunch of cool stuff!).

First off I want to say a HUGE thank you to the official Haven Mavens: Kate from Centsational Girl, Sarah from Thrifty Decor Chick, Beth from Home Stories A2Z, Rhoda from Southern Hospitality, Traci from Beneath My Heart, Chris from Just A Girl and Marian from Miss Mustard Seed. Yeah… incredible group of ladies!

We opened up Thursday morning with a keynote speech from Sherry & John of Young House Love. This couple is so down to earth and filled with wonderful DIY & bloggy knowledge! LOVE them even more now… if that’s even possible.

The first session of the conference that I attended was Beginning Paint and Stain with Chris from Just a Girl and Kate from Centsational Girl.

Even though I’m an avid painter, I thought the refresher course was filled with oodles of goodies! And Bruce from the Minwax team was incredibly informational on the use of stains and poly.

Next up was Advanced Painting Techniques with Miss Mustard Seed!

She has a new line of Milk Paint coming out soon and she gave us some cool tips and tricks! I even got to try out some of the techniques myself. Very cool stuff!

My last class of Day One was All About Advertising hosted by Beckie from Infarrantly Creative, Julia from Hooked on Houses, and Sarah from Thrifty Decor Chick. Oh my, I cannot stress how much I learned in this class! I’m a marketing girl, but this session knocked my socks off.

On Friday morning, my first session was listening to the incredible (and extremely humorous) Mr. Goodwill Hunting at Thrifting 101. At first this session wasn’t even on my radar, but I took and chance and attended. So glad I did! My favorite line when thrift shopping…

“Don’t look for anything at any time, but look for everything at all times.”

Next up was Décor 101 with Chris from Just a Girl and Beth from Home Stories A2Z. I learned about mixing textures, shopping in your home for new décor, and how to create vignettes. Now I have so many new projects rolling around in my head!

My last session of the Haven Conference was Hobby to Business with Gina from Shabby Creek Cottage, Rhoda from Southern Hospitality and Marian from Miss Mustard Seed. Here I learned about starting an LLC (which I accomplished yesterday!!), taxes, disclaimers and all that yucky business stuff!

Well, that’s it for now! Later on this week I’ll share some more personal photos and some great Tips & Tricks I learned at each of the sessions!

And again, I want to thank the wonderful organizers and sponsors at the Haven Conference, including Home Depot, 3M, Minwax, Rustoleum, PureBond, Shaw Flooring, Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, Ryobi, Moen, Oreck, Frog Tape, Royal Design Studio, Mirror Mate, Fish Window Cleaning and Cutter. You were truly amazing!!

Comments

Sounds so amazing! Do you know if they’re going to give recaps of any of the sessions? What are the reasons to start an LLC?

Yep, I think some bloggers will do a recap of the sessions. I’m not going to do a lot of the business side… more of the things I learned in painting and thrifting! But you should definitely start and LLC if you’re making more than $8000 a year and will have to pay taxes ;)

I didn’t get to go to the Hobby to Business one so was wondering how it was. Sounds like it was good! Was about to ask the same question about the LLC. But you think wait until you are making $8000 a year? I do have to pay taxes but not on that much yet?

Was it expensive to become an LLC?

I think wait until you’re making some better money. If you’re not paying taxes on your business, then there’s no sense in forming the company quite yet (in my honest opinion!). You don’t have to declare your money until you make $8K a year.

It cost me about $250 to become an LLC, but that included a registered agent, EIN and MO fees. You can definitely do it for less if you have some people helping you out!

2. Lisa@ Before Meets After says

You got tons of photos with the bloggy stars!!! Haha! It was great to meet you. The LLC is on my list so I may have to bug you about how to go about that!

I still have photos to share with Sherry of YHL and Kate from Centsational Girl too! It was a little piece of Heaven here on earth ;) Email me if you have any questions about the LLC!!

Looks like you had an amazing time at Haven, Erin! It’s so great for those of us who longed to attend but couldn’t, to see pictures of the event and pictures of our bloggy friends! Could you please, please expand more , through upcoming posts, what you learned at the ‘Hobby to Business’ and ‘All about Advertising’ sessions? It’s sort of the elephant in the room so to speak, but very important topics, I think. I am not a marketing or business girl but am eager to learn more in these areas to grow my blog…. those of us who have’ little blogs with big dreams’ would love ‘Havenites’ to share these sorts of tips!!! Have a wonderful week and thanks again for sharing these pictures, it helps to make us feel like we were right there with you :) Heather

I wish I would have had the change to meet everyone at Haven…It looks like we were in different classes at different times :) I guess I will just have to have fun getting to know you via your blog!

xoxo, Tauni

It looks like you had so much fun! Oh, to have been there and had a chance to learn from all those fabulous bloggers. I’m new to blogging, so I’m only just learning about all the conferences. This one is definitely going on my list. I plan to attend next year. I can’t wait!!