Get Inspired: Great Room Makeover Ideas

I’m thinking about starting my Great Room makeover in this coming month and I decided to throw together a couple of mood boards to get inspired.

Thus far I have Sea Salt by Sherwin Williams on the wall, microfiber brown couches (yeah, can’t afford new couches quite yet so the old ones are staying) and new display tables from World Market that I purchased on clearance a couple months back. I’m definitely leaning towards blues and greens in this space, but there’s just so many options within that color scheme.

So now I need some textiles and lighting help. C’mon, give me your honest opinion! Which one do you like best?

option 1

great room mood boardLighting from Lowe’s, Pillows from Pier 1 Imports, Mirrored End Table from Kirklands, Rug from Overstock.com, Chair from Kirklands

option 2

great room mood board 2

Lighting from Home Depot, Pillows from Pier 1 Imports and Kirklands, Weathered End Table from Kirklands, Rug from Overstock.com, Chair from Home Decorators

option 3

great room mood board 3

Lighting from Home Depot, Pillows from Pier 1 Imports, Distressed Table from Kirklands, Rug from Overstock.com, Chair from Pier 1 Imports

________________________________________________

So, which option do you prefer?
I’m still doing some research to try and find the perfect pieces (I’m thinking the area rug will be my biggest decision in the room), but making these mood boards definitely helped get some ideas flowing.

Comments

1. Megan says

I like option number one, its the light and chair that I like the most. Every piece you have picked is nice. Good luck with the decision.

2. Chelsea @ two twenty one says

Option 1! Love that mirrored end table. But I’d swap in the rug from Option 2. Can’t wait to see what you do!

I’m going with Option 1. I am so into the mirrored accent tables lately! I’ll live vicariously through you if you do this one until I get up the nerve to try it in my own home!

4. Andrea L. says

They are all beautiful! #3 is my fave (cozy, happy), but if you switch the chest from #3 into the #2 room that could work, too! I love how the #3 rug allows the browns in the sofa and table and the creams in the chest and chair to stand out. I think you’d have a lot of versatility with adding complementary pillows, throws, and accessories. Plus, when you want to decorate seasonally, I feel like you’d have the easiest time with #3. I can see spring, summer, fall, and winter all working great. But I’d prefer one of the light fixtures from #1 or #2 in that room. Whatever you do is going to be awesome!! :)

I like #1 the best, I think. Especially the chair and light fixture. Except maybe different pillows for more depth?

I have the rug in the last pic (and I really do like it) but it leans toward a purple-grey which might push your room into a different direction.

Anyway, nice job. Can’t wait to see what you do!

6. Julie says

I recently did my bedroom very similarly to Option 1. Love it and have had nothing by great comments. I do like the color pop the pillows from Option 3 add, too. Can’t wait to see it!

7. Margaret says

I like option 1 the best, although if you are worried about dirt at all, option 2 might be a better for the carpet choice.

8. Tara C says

Love, love, love option 2, but maybe with rug from option 1. You can’t go wrong with any of these. They are all gorgeous!

9. Caitlin says

#1 !!!!!!!!!!! I love the accent table from #2 but #1 is still my faveeee. It is light and I think will make the room very open. The rug for #3 is tooooo dark!

10. andrea says

I like option 1, but I’d swap in the chair from option 2 – I think it’d really compliment the “rustic” element in the light fixture

11. Angela Wells says

I like option 1. Love the paint color and the rug. I’m going to go pick up a paint sample tomorrow of the same color!

12. Kelly says

I love them all. When you are decorating a room, what do you start with? I have a pair of chairs that I’m having a tough time finding a rug and accent pillows for the plain couch… All of thee examples are in perfect harmony and I need your secrete!

Haha, well thank you! I usually start with the staple pieces… chairs and couches, then tables, then textiles. One of my go-to websites for colors schemes is design-seeds.com. The color palettes at least give me a starting point. But it’s a LOT of mixing and matching before I get it right… if I ever do ;)