Ok, this post has been a long-time coming. Back on my one year blogiversary I did a little a little post called “50 Things You Didn’t Know About Me”. And what baffled people the most?
#34. I threw away my wedding dress the day after I got married.
Yep, it’s true.
Let me explain… First of all my dress wasn’t very expensive, and that was by choice. I found a simple dress that I absolutely loved for $250. My mom kept taking me out shopping, even after I purchased my dress, thinking I might change my mind and choose something new with a little bling. Nope. I was happy with my classic A-line strapless dress. And still am to this day.
Secondly I got married in July and my dress was destroyed by the end of the night from walking around in my bare feet with the dress scraping across the asphalt. Yep, from trekking around town taking photos to dancing on the patio outside our reception hall later that night, the bottom of the dress was black and fraying.
So why not keep it to make a First Communion dress for my daughter? Or maybe ring bearer pillows for her future wedding 20 years from now? Well we already have my grandmother’s dress and my mother’s dress in storage. Uh, is another one really necessary, especially when I know that neither of their dresses were ever used for anything? Nah, I’m good.
Or why not keep it so my daughter could play dress up? Well I’m a heavier girl so I really couldn’t see my five year old trying to lug around all of that fabric. I remember how heavy it was on my wedding day; couldn’t imagine how heavy it would be for a little kid.
So the morning after I got married my husband and I went to my parents house to open gifts and have lunch. I remember going out to the garage, opening the large trashcan, throwing in the dress saying “thanks, you gave me one heck of a night”.
So some other little tidbits about our wedding… It was an all white wedding. Ha, yep. The men wore white jackets and the women wore short, sleeveless dresses from J. Crew (I wanted them to be able to wear the dresses again). Oh, and I blurred their faces in case they don’t want to be on the blog. Doesn’t everyone look a little bit like Quasimodo?
And all of these wedding photos were taken from my album. Yep, no such thing as digital photos back in the day. Anyone else feel my pain?
Another thing I have to say is that my husband definitely gets better with age. I mean doesn’t he grow some awesome facial hair?
So that’s the story of the trashed wedding dress. I have to say I have no regrets. Oh, and I also throw away all of my bridesmaid dresses the day after I’m in a wedding. Yeah, I’m the complete opposite of a hoarder.
Please, don’t judge me.
It’s just the way I am.
And in case you missed the list from a year and a half ago, here it is…
- I only have 1 child, a
fourfive year old little girl named Ellie. She has blond curly hair and I have no idea where it came from!
- I built furniture in college. End tables, coffee tables, a porch swing, etc. I also majored in Fine Arts (which means I got to dabble in ceramics, printmaking, photography, painting, drawing and everything else art related!)
- I started this blog after having only read ONE other blog (Centsational Girl). I had NO CLUE there were so many blogs out there!
- I’m addicted to mechanical pencils and only use them to write (unless I’m signing an important document).
- The first CD I ever owned was The Bodyguard soundtrack.
- My favorite movie is Shawshank Redemption. A close second is The Royal Tenenbaums.
- If I could have any super human power, it would probably be to breathe underwater. I love to swim!
- My siblings and our families gather for dinner almost every Sunday at my parents’ house.
- I HATE ONIONS. The texture of them grosses me out. Cooked or raw, doesn’t matter!
- I’m as blind as a bat.
- I sliced off the tip of my finger when I was in college with an exacto knife. Don’t worry, they sewed it back on! But it’s still über sensitive.
- I love musicals. My favorite is probably Meet Me in St. Louis.
- Some of my favorite bands are Queen, Journey, Green Day and The Cars.
- I work 50+ hours a week at my normal job as an Art Director and blog in my free time. But I LOVE my job. Seriously, sometimes I look forward to Mondays.
- I never win anything (which is why I don’t play the lottery).
- I want to win the lottery someday. Dangit, I guess I’ll have to revise #15.
- I know my way around Panama City Beach better than downtown St. Louis (and I’ve lived here my entire life).
- I love sushi, Kendall Jackson Chardonnay and fruit snacks.
- I played softball, volleyball, soccer and basketball growing up. Yep, I was pretty much a tomboy.
- I’ve never sang karaoke before, but I want to! My song choice would be I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor.
- I went to Catholic private school my entire life.
- I’m obsessed with Cardinals baseball.
- I think every t-shirt I own has paint on it.
- I HATE yard work. No, make that loathe.
- I love any Housewives TV show on Bravo. And I believe Seinfeld and Scrubs are two of the best TV shows ever.
- I love to read (when I find the time). My favorite book from this past year was Born to Run by Christoper McDougall.
- My favorite fast food is Taco Bell.
- I can’t stand most Country music.
- I love giving gifts, not receiving them.
- I used to be able to play the piano and would love to learn again someday.
- My favorite dessert is gooey butter cake.
- My hubby still works a lot of nights and goes to school so I only get to cook dinner about once a week. It stinks because I really love to cook! My best dish? Chicken chimichangas!
- We have a dog named Jack that my dad bought for my daughter. We’re actually giving him to a friend on Saturday. We just work too much for a dog and I felt bad to crate him all day.
- I threw away my wedding dress the day after I got married.
- I scanned in my report card my senior year in high school to change my grades. I printed out the fake version and gave it to my parents. They never figured it out (but I did come clean years later!).
- Back before I started dating my husband, I dated one of his best friends (and he kinda dated my cousin; that’s how we met!).
- I CUSS A LOT. Ask anyone who knows me. Like a sailor.
- I’m really bad at keeping my car clean.
- I can’t help but really like Alec Baldwin.
- My hubby has epilepsy to I tend to drive everywhere while he rides shotgun.
- I only sleep 6 hours a night.
- My favorite stores are NY & Company (clothes), Target and Pier 1 Imports.
- I’m now addicted to the iPhone app CamWow.
- I prefer The Voice over American Idol.
- I’ve lived in St. Louis my entire life but
have never been up in The Arch(crossed that off the list here).
- I have 4 piercings in my left ear and two in my right, yet I rarely wear earrings anymore.
- I get addicted to certain songs and play them over & over on repeat.
- If I wasn’t a graphic designer, I’d like to be an art teacher.
- My biggest regret is not learning how to sew from my grandmother.
- I’m very short. Only about 5 foot 3 inches.