Stenciled Washer and Dryer

I’m in the process of giving my Laundry Room a makeover and I’d really REALLY love to get a new front load washer & dryer to jazz up the space, but… well, I’m broke.

stenciled-washer-dryer1So instead of stenciling my Laundry Room wall as initially intended, I decided to give my 7 year old washer & dryer a bit of a facelift and breathe some new life into these old friends of mine.

After hours of grazing through all the fabulous stencil options from Royal Design Studio, I finally decided the Donatella Damask. Swoon!

I centered the thick plastic stencil on the front of my dryer and stuck it in place with some painter’s tape. Now it’s time to start painting!

I used a little cabinet and trim roller to apply my paint. I actually chose to use Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Country Grey since I knew it would be a fabulous color contrast against the white metal.

The first panel was up and I was extremely happy with the result so time to move onto the next section. The pattern repeats so I just had to line up the edges, tape up again, and continue painting my pattern.

Once I was finished painting the entire washer and dryer, I sealed the Chalk Paint to the surface with some polyurethane so it doesn’t scratch off the slick metal surface.

stenciled-washer-dryer1
And I couldn’t be happier with the final result!

stenciled-dryer-detail

stenciled washer and dryerSee the entire Laundry Room Reveal here.

Comments

• Leigh-Ann says

Your washer and dryer look fabulous! Don’t waste you money on those high end front loaders. Worst purchase I ever made. I threw mine out and now have the good “old fashioned” kind and couldn’t be happier. Although, painting mine might make me happier…

WOW! I would never have thought in a million years to do something like this! I guess I’m the type who has always just accepted how dingy laundry rooms can be! And I’m with you on the broke part, so no new washer/dryer set for me either! But this is a fantastic idea. Especially for someone like me whose laundry room is actually part of the mud room and visitors DO have to walk through it. Thank you for sharing this! (you did a fantastic job by the way!)

Shirley

Oh my gosh!
    That is seriously the most clever thing I’ve seen! I have actually thought about what it might look like if you could paint your washer a dryer a different color. But I didn’t think it was actually possible.
    What kind of polyurethane do you use?
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Jordan :)

Erin, that is so stinkin’ cute! I feel your pain about not having a new set, but who needs it with this idea!! I love how you did the door on the washer and left the door on the dryer plain – really cute! Thanks so much for sharing!

4. Lisa Conforto says

What a marvelous idea! It looks wonderful, and the color is very suitable. Out of all the painting projects iv’e seen this is the winner. I’m going to have to be a copy cat on this one, thanks for the inspiration. You have brought a lot of style to your appliances!

5. Jillian says

Love it! Can’t wait to try it on my old washer and dryer! I was wondering if you need to put a primer on the metal first?

Wowza! How clever are you? I am in the same boat-old W&D but not money. I just hide mine behind a curtain because I have never thought to paint them. Now you got my head spinning with ideas. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

those are SO fun! what a neat idea! i would love to hear how it holds up over time, too. if it does well, there may be hope for my washer and dryer, too. cuz i’m kinda broke, too.

Erin! I nust have missed your post on this. I just saw it shared by Melanie Royals on the Chalk Paint(TM) private message bosrd! What a great ideas. You Rock!
    Rose Wilde
    Wood Icing

This is such a fantastic idea! Thanks so much for sharing it. I too would LOVE a set of front loading machines but alas, we just haven’t been able to swing it either. I am definitely going to keep this idea in mind and start looking for the perfect stencil pattern for my machines as well :)

10. Jenna Simpson says

I absolutely love this pattern and the final results! I had a question, hopefully its not to silly. Obviously i am a very inexperienced painter, I worry about the paint chipping or scratching off with wear and tear? Is there a clear cot or anything needed that wasn’t mentioned in the tutorial? Or a clean coat is not necessary with the right paint?

It will scratch a little bit, but mine actually withheld normal wear and tear wonderfully! I wouldn’t suggest the Annie Sloan wax since it will melt with warmer temps on your dryer. If you’re worried maybe try a wearable latex enamel paint, like Sherwin Williams ProClassic brand. Hope that helps!

11. Abby says

Love this! Definitely including this idea in my laundry room makeover. You have the EXACT same layout as our laundry room/mudroom. A couple questions – did you have trouble with the paint leaking under the stencil and smudging when you moved the stencil to a different spot? Did you have to wait for the painted area to dry before moving on to a different spot?

Thanks Abby! No, I didn’t really have much trouble with bleeding paint. I used a thicker paint (Annie Sloan Chalk Paint) which doesn’t tend to run. Also, it dries very quickly since you’re doing light coats when stenciling. I was able to move the stencil pretty much immediately and place in the next row. Hope that helps!