Distressed Chalk Paint Desk Makeover

I attended a school/Church auction over the weekend where the committee asked me to paint a piece of furniture as a donation. Of course I said yes, but that quickly turned to me freaking out trying to find a cute piece.

painted kids desk beforeWell I had my sister’s old desk from when she was a kid sitting in my basement begging for a makeover. And since it was a school auction, a kids desk was a perfect fit.

And here’s the final piece…

distressed chalk paint deskI used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint for this makeover, mostly because it doesn’t require me to do any sanding.

chalk paint deskAnd this time I decided to apply the paint in a dry-brush fashion, with only about a half-inch of light paint on the brush tip. And without any sanding at all, it looks like this…

annie sloan chalk painted deskOnce I had the base painted in Pure White, I coated the drawers in Paris Gray, then Duck Egg Blue.

painted kids deskI purchased some new knobs from Hobby Lobby and painted the old handles pink to match. Then I coated the entire desk in clear wax to give it a bit of durability.

distressed chalk paint deskI’m seriously in love with these knobs. Totally go with the distressed paint job.

chalk paint distressed desk

chalk paint distressed kids deskI did use a sanding block for some areas that weren’t quite distressed enough, but overall the dry brush technique was perfect for the look I was trying to achieve.

chalk paint kids kids

ASCP distressed desk

duck egg blue chalk paint deskIf you want to see some more painted furniture projects from me over the years,
CLICK HERE.

annie sloan chalk paint desk

Comments

Wow! I was never a fan of old looking furniture but this looks so sofisticated! And that whole vignette, so pretty! I love the paintings above it too! Hobby Lobby too?

Love how your desk turned out. It’s really very lovely. I want to try the chalk paint, but haven’t gotten around to it just yet. The distressing on this is just gorgeous! Great job!

3. Tracy says

Absolutely love it!!! I have a question… I chalk painted a dresser that I will be using for an kitchen island. Would water base poly be better than wax? This is my first time using chalk paint so with all the constant use wasn’t sure if the wax or poly would be better. Thanks so much!

Hi Tracy. Yes, you can use a water based poly over chalk paint, but I would definitely test one small area first. A water based poly can cause your chalk paint to crackle, depending on some pre-finishes. You can also try Varathane Diamond Wood Finish. It dries quickly and is easy to work with! Hope that helps!

SERIOUSLY love this! I’m checking around everywhere to see where I can find this paint! I dread sanding, so I think this will be the kicker for me. I love love love it!

5. christine says

hi there wondering where did you buy annie sloan paint at i called home depot and lowes they do not carry that brand?? thanks