Vintage Nursery Rhyme Tray

One of my favorite books that belongs to my daughter is a gift from her great-grandmother, a nursery rhyme hardcover illustrated by Maud Humphrey. As soon as we opened the pages, I knew I would have to purchase another copy and use the illustrations for a project.

If I ever have another baby, I might actually design the entire nursery around these drawings. But for now, a simple accessory will have to do!

I found this little tray on clearance at JoAnn Fabrics & Crafts for $5 and I thought I could put it to good use.

I gave it a coat of some Old White Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and distressed the edges.

Next I cut out the nursery rhyme I wanted to feature. I chose Hush a Bye Baby. The colors were nice and earthy, plus it was one of my favorite songs to get my little angel to sleep. Actually, that’s a lie… She used to cry when I sang to her. I swear I don’t have a bad voice, it’s just that she hated my singing for some reason! So I guess this nursery rhyme has a little hidden meaning for me :)

OK, I decided to tear the edges of the paper to keep with the vintage look and feel.

I used Mod Podge to secure down the illustration and gave it a couple of top coats to seal it in.

Voila! Isn’t she beautiful? I love the subtle colors and light distressing.

After finishing this project I think I’ve confirmed that I really do love this look and could design an entire nursery with this tray as inspiration!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LIKE THIS POST? FOLLOW ALONG FOR MORE…

Comments

I LOVE it. It would be a great piece of inspiration for an entire nursery!! Love the distressed look you gave it! Do you have any big plans for it now:)?

I love your sweet tray. And I agree that the illustrations could be a wonderful jumping off point for decorating a nursery. Super cute. I love Annie Sloan Chalk Paint too! I recently won a giveaway and am now a dedicated fan and customer. Nice job!
    ~Lynn

I love this! I love vintage pictures of babies and children. I am waiting to recieve my first ASCP tomorrow…can’t wait to paint for the first time with it…so exciting. Thanks for the ideas. Beautiful..thks, Linda

Just beautiful! I haven’t seen anything like this and I love how you tore the paper and the distressed tray. It couldn’t have turned out better. My favorite project of the week!

That is just absolutely darling and beautiful! You did such a great job on that and I could totally see an entire nursery built around that. Thank you so much for sharing your talent and creativity with us this week at Inspiration Friday!
    Vanessa

I really love this tray. Adorable. I will be featuring it tonight at my Sizzle into Summer party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I’ve Been Featured button. Thanks.

7. Pam Erwin says

I love the tray you made with the Mother Goose book from Maud Humphrey. I tried to find the book but they are $375′s. Do you know if there are reproductions cheaper? The tray you made is amazing!