My Craft Room Makeover

I’ve kinda been secretly working on an overhaul to my craft room. I know, crazy right? But I really needed something functional: lots of workspace and lots of storage. If you could add in a place for my kiddo to watch TV or play with her toys, or a place for my hubby to work on his laptop while I’m crafting… well, I’d probably be dreaming.

craft room makeover

But oh my, how dreams do come true!
Come on, let’s take a tour of my new craft room/playroom/home office!

Since this room is only 10×10 feet, I didn’t have much room to work with. The best solution for workspace? A 10 foot desk with cabinet storage, plus space for both me & my hubby to work!

And I’m in LOVE with the new carpet tiles from Flor! I’m diggin’ the pattern and the use of color on the floor instead of the walls. And we actually installed the Flor tiles ourselves in just a couple of hours. Yep, super easy (and I’m giving a how-to tutorial tomorrow!).

We purchased all of the materials for the desk from Lowe’s and Home Depot. The only thing we still need to do is add the toe kicks to the bottom of the cabinets. And I’ll definitely have a tutorial for this DIY desk coming soon!

To contrast the white cabinets and lighter décor, we added a brown leather chaise and two expresso bar stools that are upholstered with brown microfiber.

The best part of this room? ORGANIZATION!

I’ve had the frames seen below stored in my basement for over SIX YEARS! Finally put them to good use by framing some peg board. Love the final result!

I found this polka dot burlap material at Hancock Fabrics awhile back and was waiting for the perfect project to put it to good use. I just cut the material into strips and tied the pieces around the curtain rod… took less than 10 minutes!

The bunting is just scrapbook paper and ribbon, and the doorknob hooks I’ve had for about a year and a half (previously purchased from Pier 1 Imports).

This wall I left pretty much blank. I figure it’s a great place to stage photos for any new project.

The chaise is a great place for my kiddo to kick back and tell me about her day or watch TV while I’m working. I could also see myself snuggling up with a good book here! And those hanging files on the wall behind it are filled with my scrapbook paper. LOVE it!

Yep, everything I need within an arm’s reach…

And still plenty of space for my kiddo to play on the new floor!

So, what do you think?

Linking up to Tatertots and Jello

diy-contest-home-depot

LIKE THIS POST? FOLLOW ALONG FOR MORE…

Comments

Your craft room is so clean and fresh looking! I love the floor covering and your cute idea for the window curtain! Now, how long does it take before it’s a crafter’s mess?!!!

It’s still clean for now, but I have to admit the rest of my house is a HUGE MESS since I’ve been ignoring the piles of laundry and kitchen floor while trying to finish this room!

SO Jealous! What a great space! You’re making me want to sell my spare bedroom furniture and just make that my craft room instead. Can’t get enough of those floor tiles. They look fab! What’s the floor like underneath?

3. Sue Anderson says

Your room looks really pretty. Love the organization. You might want to add a table with your chaise. But other than that…lovely dream room!!! :)

Thanks Sue! Yes, I’m hoping to find a really small table to add next to the chaise from Goodwill in the near future. I think it would help disguise the AC vent too that’s right there ;)

LOL! I know, right? I was afraid to show the before photo of the yellow stenciled room because I thought someone would leave a nasty comment saying “why would you paint over such a pretty stencil for THAT?!” Oh, the life of a blogger ;)

I love how your craft room turned out! I think the desk is a super way to get the most use out of your space! What color did you use on the walls? I love how cool and bright it looks!

First, I’m a tad bit jealous. But thankfully our blog world isn’t based on that, so I can move on to how happy I am for you! I love the cameo and all the vinyl on one side and in the drawer (soooo much better than mine on my kitchen counter!) and you are so super-duper organized! I’ll just bask in your organization and hope it rubs off on me:)

Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

LOL Jessica! I love having my Cameo out and ready to use at any time. I feel like I didn’t use it as much before since I had to drag it out of the closet all the time ;)

6. Shirley says

My room that I want as a craft room is small (9 X 10) and I hope it turns out as well. Yours is beautiful and well organized. Thanks for sharing.

What a beautiful job! I have a spare bedroom thats about the same size that I want to turn into an office/crafting space. You’ve given me some great ideas.

Erin, it’s beautiful!! I love that you incorporated a space for hubby! That’s what I want to do when I get my craft room done…..mine is still just a dream in my head, but it’s coming! You did a wonderful job. I love the color carpet tile – what a great idea! Thanks so much for sharing!

9. Erin K. says

LOVE it! The floor is so cool! I would love a space like this…someday! lol

Where did you get the wall pockets? I need something for my boys school work…

Wow.. what a beautiful space you’ve created! I love the flooring and the desk area is perfect. I can’t wait to see the tutorials. You should be very proud… job well done! AJ@queenofmynest

Wow. This is gorgeous!! It looks ah-mazing!!! Seriously. I had to pin it for my own craft room inspiration. Fabulous job, Erin. Hope you are enjoying it.

I love it! I have a couple of places in my house that would work for a project like this. I am inspired to start something now! I work full-time outside the house, sell Thirty-One on the side, have four busy kids AND try to craft whenever I get the chance. To have someplace where I could take care of 3 our of 4 things would be so wonderful! Maybe someday I will be posting pictures of my craft room. :-) Thanks for the great ideas and enjoy your room!

13. Nancy C. says

Love it! The double desk is a great idea and works the best in the small space. I have a room the same size and it’s given me some great ideas.

14. Eva Scott says

It’s gorgeous!! I love the delicate colors you used. That flooring is awesome! And love the scrappy pieces you’re using on the curtain rod. Really great idea! Thanks for sharing with us!

15. Andrea says

I love the dual workspace. No fighting over who gets to work first. The flor tiles are great. The whole room looks good. Great job!

I adore everything about your craft room! It is gorgeous… awesome color pallet! just so pretty! would love for you to come share at the Hearts&Homes link party at mercy(INK)!
    have an awesome wednesday :)
    lauren

There is so much I adore about this room! The creative use of space makes this room look MUCH larger than 10 x 10 feet! The long desktop is wonderful, the chaise lounge is a great idea, the valance is to die for….and the flooring is so pretty. All in all? You’ve created an inspiring room to create. Congrats!!

ps- i just noticed- i love how it matches your blog colors!!!
    You are so invited to stop by Once Upon a Weekend and share this tonight :)
    What day is Party with my Peeps? I’d love to add it to “my list.” :)
    Thanks!

I love it! So fresh and clean, and pretty. I would love to work in there :)

My Mom asked me to “re-do” her workroom for her as her birthday gift (I was flattered) and I appreciate all the inspiration your room has given me as I get ready to start her overhaul!

So nice that you gave yourself such great space to “create” in.
    Amy

Love that curtain rod – so cute! This space reminds me of the office in John an Sherry’s house over at Young House Love!

I love it! Can’t wait for the tutorial on the desk. I have been searching the web for a solution to my very small craft room and this is PERFECt!! thanks for the reveal and I will be watching for the tute!!

WOW! I LOVE THIS! Everything is so neat and organized and the color on the walls make everything look bright and clean. Great job!!

Great room, Erin! The carpet tiles are a wonderful idea, & so sharp-looking to frame the pegboard. I think you are very smart to have counter-height workspace — nice to be able to sit if you want, but there are always things that just work better when you’re standing. I have a counter-height island in my space & use it often. It was fun seeing your space!
    CAS

LOVE your craft room!! It’s so cute and organized. I’m hoping to redo my space in the near future. I have way too much clutter at the moment! (= I love the desk top. Can you tell me what you used and where you purchased it? Thanks! (=

THanks Jennifer! I purchased the cabinets from Lowe’s and made the desktop out of plywood. Then we covered it with laminate flooring! I finished the edges off with some trim and that’s it!

Thanks! I thought it might be made out of flooring! I even have some leftover flooring. I’m thinking this might be a great project! (=

There are so many things i love about this space. The floor tiles are amazing, and I love the hanging file storage on the wall for scrapbook paper. I feel the need to steal that idea. Where did you find your file storage?

Love your use of stools at your desks. We have some built-in shelving in our house, and the countertops are too high for regular chairs. Now, I must find some great stools to put there.

And I love that fabric from Hancock. Pinning that and hoping I can find it locally.

26. Adriene says

It’s all beautiful, and I love the framed pegboard idea! I have some pegboard in my garage and I think I’m going to do that next week!

Is that one large piece of wood for the top of the desk? Or did you have to put two together? If it is, what is it exactly (dimensions and type)? This would be great for our homeschool room (which is also a 10×10).

28. Mark says

I love the idea of laminate flooring for a desk surface. But I’m wondering what you did for that nice white edge-banding. In other words, what is concealing the front edges of the plywood and flooring “sandwich”? Also, what is the plywood thickness? Thanks for your inspiration!

We used quarter round molding along the edges to “hide” the plywood and flooring edges. Just used some finishing nails to fasten. We also used 3/4 inch plywood. You can find the entire tutorial for the desk here.

Is the height that you need for your desk barstool height? Also, after living with your desk at this height for a while, do you like the height it is, or would you rather it be standard desk height? I’m looking to build one of these this next week so I’m just trying to figure out if I’d like the height the base cabinets come in (or if I should chop the bases off to make them standard desk height). I’d love your opinion!

Yes, the standard cabinets make the desk barstool height. I actually prefer this since I tend to stand/sit when working on projects! Actually… I think I mostly stand :) I’d do it again in a heartbeat!

30. Kristin says

Beautiful! I recently redid my room to look similar to this one, but am having trouble with power cords — did you drill holes behind your computer, etc, or is your countertop not flush with the wall?

31. Carolyn says

This is wonderful and exactly what I need in my kid’s playroom. Did you use standard cabinets from the home supply store? Can you provide a few more details on where you got the materials? Thanks for posting, again, this is exactly what I need for my two kids (girl 5 and boy 10) to have their own workspace in the bonus room!