So a couple of weeks ago my brother and sister-in-law asked if I could help transform their bedroom furniture. As newlyweds often do, they each brought a couple of pieces from their old bedroom sets into their new life together. My task: to paint the dresser, mirror and one nightstand black to match their other nightstand and TV stand.
Here are the before shots…
And here’s the AFTER photos!
We carried the furniture downstairs from their second story condominium and out into their garage. The first step was to wipe all the dust off and remove the hardware. My sister-in-law decided not to keep the current hardware, but still use the existing holes so I didn’t have to fill them with putty.
Once the sanding was complete, I used Rustoleum’s flat black spray paint to cover the drawers. To make sure I didn’t get any paint inside the, I just held up a piece of cardboard against the edges while I spray painted.
For the base of nightstand and dresser, I used Valspar’s flat black latex paint along with a small roller brush for the tops and sides and a smaller hand brush to get the detailing. And here’s the painted nightstand!
OK, onto the large dresser! Now we couldn’t move this piece downstairs to paint cause it’s just too heavy… so, I had to set up shop in their dining room! I used the same flat black Valspar latex paint to coat the base of the dresser. Once the paint was dry, I used Minwax polyurethane to seal the dresser and nightstand.
Here’s the before & after of the dresser side by side…
Total costs: $9 for the Valspar flat black paint, $8 for the Rustoleum black spray paint, $10 for polyurethane, and a couple bucks for drop cloths, sandpaper blocks, paint trays, brushes, rollers, etc. I would estimate the total costs being around $50 without the new hardware. Not too shabby for a completely transformed bedroom set!