From Traditional to Modern: Revamped Bedroom Furniture

So a couple of weeks ago my brother and sister-in-law asked if I could help transform their bedroom furniture. As newlyweds often do, they each brought a couple of pieces from their old bedroom sets into their new life together. My task: to paint the dresser, mirror and one nightstand black to match their other nightstand and TV stand.

Here are the before shots…

Please pardon my crappy photos. I had very little natural light in this bedroom and didn’t want to create hot spots with a flash.

And here’s the AFTER photos!

Here’s how I completed the transformation:

We carried the furniture downstairs from their second story condominium and out into their garage. The first step was to wipe all the dust off and remove the hardware. My sister-in-law decided not to keep the current hardware, but still use the existing holes so I didn’t have to fill them with putty.

I sanded down all of the drawers and the base of the nightstand and dresser.

Once the sanding was complete, I used Rustoleum’s flat black spray paint to cover the drawers. To make sure I didn’t get any paint inside the, I just held up a piece of cardboard against the edges while I spray painted.

For the base of nightstand and dresser, I used Valspar’s flat black latex paint along with a small roller brush for the tops and sides and a smaller hand brush to get the detailing.  And here’s the painted nightstand!

OK, onto the large dresser! Now we couldn’t move this piece downstairs to paint cause it’s just too heavy… so, I had to set up shop in their dining room! I used the same flat black Valspar latex paint to coat the base of the dresser. Once the paint was dry, I used Minwax polyurethane to seal the dresser and nightstand.

The dresser also had a matching mirror that I had to paint. I taped up the inside with painter’s blue tape to protect the mirror.

OK, ready for some after shots?

Here’s the before & after side by side! Isn’t it amazing how paint and some new hardware can change a piece of furniture from traditional to modern?

And here’s some shots of the dresser…

See the black nightstand in the left of the photo? Yep, that’s the black nightstand they already owned! My sister-in-law matched the new hardware perfectly!

Here’s the before & after of the dresser side by side…

They still need to get their walls painted and some wall hangings, but a HUGE improvement thus far!

Total costs: $9 for the Valspar flat black paint, $8 for the Rustoleum black spray paint, $10 for polyurethane, and a couple bucks for drop cloths, sandpaper blocks, paint trays, brushes, rollers, etc. I would estimate the total costs being around $50 without the new hardware. Not too shabby for a completely transformed bedroom set!

update your old bedroom furniture

Comments

What an awesome transformation. Looks so much more modern and cool. I am your latest follower. I found you via Debbie’s party. I hope you stop by and say hi. Also, I host a link party that opens each Tuesday night at 8pm EST. Would love for you to join in the fun.

That’s fantastic! I’ve been eyeing our bedroom furniture for a while now.. it is in desperate need of a makeover too. Love how a coat or two of paint can make such a huge difference!

Kimberly

I think that furniture looks so much better painted black. I also used black spray paint to refinish a few of my pieces of furniture.

I host a party on Wednesdays that is a showcase for bloggers with less than 500 followers…. and I would like to invite you! (the linky is open now)

xoxo BunnyJean @ BunnyJean’s Decor and More!

I am # 141 in the Met Monday party.

This was a great transformation. It is amazing what a little paint can do. The new hardware was just the right touch. Thanks for sharing.
    I am a new follower hopping over from Bunny Hop Wednesday. Please come visit me and enter my neat giveaway. Ginger

What a great transformation. I love how you were able to match all the furniture and modernize it. I would love to have you join my link party that will be up this evening.

6. debbie says

Hey!!! I love it !!!
    I have a similar situation and I hope I can do this as beautifully as you did it. My only concern is there’s no way I can move the big dresser downstairs also my king size bed, so how do i sand it in the room itself. Any trick I can use to re-do the bedroom set without having to move it?

Thanks!

• howtonestforless says

I sanded my brother’s dresser right there! Just put down some old sheets or a drop cloth first to help. Yes, you’ll have to do some vacuuming or mopping, but the end result is totally worth it! Hope that helps, Debbie :)

I only spray painted the drawers and used a normal small roller brush for the larger areas. Just make sure you’re keeping at least 6 inches between the furniture and the can so you don’t get runny paint drip marks. Hope that helps! It really is easy ;)

7. Amy says

Awesome redo! Is there a particular reason why you used spray paint on the drawers and regular paint on everything else though? Thanks!