On the Cheap: Scrapbook Paper iPhone Covers

I found this clever trick on Pinterest the other week from Oops I Craft My Pants and had to try it for myself: iPhone covers using scrapbook paper!

scrapbook paper iphone coversNow when I had my first cell phone in high school (the old Nokia), I probably had about 15 different cell phone covers that I would switch out to match my clothes everyday! I figure this scrapbook paper iPhone phone cover is an easy way to update my phone without spending all the cash!

First thing I did was purchase a couple sheets of scrapbook paper from Michael’s.

I also purchased a clear iPhone 4 cover from Best Buy. You could really purchase any cheap clear phone cover, but I wanted one with protective rubber sides since I’m a klutz and always drop my phone!

First thing I did was trace the scrapbook paper around the iPhone cover to get the basic shape.

I cut out the main section just using a pair of scissors. I kept trimming and setting in the clear plastic phone cover until it fit perfectly. Once the shape was set, I used this as a template for the rest of the scrapbook paper.

For the camera hole I used a pencil to sketch in the hole that I had to cut out using an exacto knife…. and that’s about it!

I’m really digging these fabric scrapbook pages! Love the texture plus I scored them on clearance for only $1 each!

Oh, and that iPhone cover below? I designed this in Photoshop with my blog logo. Yep, just normal laser printer paper that I cut to size!

brand-marketing-small-businessThis is also a great way to get festive for the holidays!

And I think the black damask one is my favorite for now!

Oh, thank you Pinterest for another great idea that’s affordable and easy to make!

And you can also see all of my holiday scrapbook paper phone covers here!holiday scrapbook paper iphone covers

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like this post? Follow along for more…

Image Map

Comments

• howtonestforless says

Of course, I always make stuff for you! Why just make one when I can make two at twice the price, LOL! :)

Such a cute idea! I’m finally entering the 21st century and getting an iPhone this weekend! So excited :) I went ahead and got a clear cover. I might try and make some of these. I definitely have enough scrapbook paper to choose from :)

I’m going to Best Buy tomorrow to (hopefully) find a clear case for my 3G. All the cute cases out now are for the 4! Ugh! So, I hope I find one. I have been dying for a new case. Can’t find anything cute for my model phone. Thanks!

3. Jessica says

I love this idea!! I use scrapbook paper to use home-made picture frames, which I gave out as Christmas gifts a few years back. Everyone loved them!
    I will be upgrading my phone to the Verizon Rhyme…I hope I will be able to do this with my phone!
    Crossing my fingers :)

Super cool!!! I would have never thought of that, what a great idea. I love changing my iphone cover too, but they can be expensive. Thanks so much for the idea, I’m headed out to Michael’s ASAP!!

• Dana says

DId you get to do this with your HTC? I have a Skyrocket and cannot find any cute cases whatsoever! I know alot of cases are designed specifically for the iphone! SO just wondering how it turned out! Thank you! Have a great day!

I think this solved my problem of constantly becoming bored of the Iphone cover that I have. Once I find a clear cover I can change up its look all the time. Thanks for the idea!

Love this idea Erin and I actually just did the same thing with my phone last week – I love the idea of changing it often. I used scrapbook paper and then added my initials J and B with stickers. I have the old phone, so mine doesn’t have a flat back, but it still works. This post just came through on stumble upon and I gave it a thumbs up :)

Jenna

• howtonestforless says

Thanks Jenna! I love the initials idea! I might actually try my blog logo next instead of buying an expensive version online. We will see if it works!

7. Leslie says

Super cute idea! Let me warn you, though, if you’re a true klutz! I have the same case and after dropping my phone twice in one night (with the phone set on vibrate), my phone is forever in vibrate mode! Just be careful! :-)

This is so cute! I wish I would’ve seen it before I got my hot pink one:( O well, in due time I will need a change and this is def something I want to try!

• howtonestforless says

Sorry, Kenzie. I don’t have a pattern. I would suggest using a plain piece of computer paper to trace and keep trimming down until it fits perfectly. Then use that as your template going forth! Hope that helps :)

9. Amanda says

When I saw this u was like why didn’t I think of this . I got a clear case and lots of scrapbook paper and now my iPhone looks amazing and I don’t need to spend much money on it :)

• howtonestforless says

It’s actually PERFECT!! I haven’t had one problem with the case so far. And I change out the insert quite often!!

10. Mara Jede says

I love this idea!! But I’m having trouble finding clear covers – any suggestions from someone who’s done this?? (aside from the griffin model posted here – I just want to see other models before I buy)

WOW! I am one for customizing everything I own and even though I don’t have an iPhone, I kinda wish I had one just for this purpose. :] I love it and I love the designs you were using.

12. Lori says

I just did this for my new iphone! I even got the same case. I had a hard time cutting the hole for the camera though. They aren’t nice and clean looking. Any suggestions? Thanks for the great idea!!!

• howtonestforless says

Oh, sorry… just saw that last part! I used an exacto knife to get the hole nice and clean. Make sure it’s really sharp though!

• Lori says

I’m using a peacock feather paper right now but have showed the black and white one to a few people and they want me to make them one with it!

• howtonestforless says

I hope so!! I know they make clear covers for a lot of different phone models. I’m telling you… it’s life changing :)

13. Kris says

i love you. I mean it. I am kind of addicted to iphone cases…but it is pretty pricey habit. I cannot wait to get a clear cover. Thanks for sharing.

WOW! This looks way to easy to be that much fun. I love switching my covers but I HATE paying 30 bucks for one! What a rip! Thanks for the awesome idea!

Take a peek at my place borntobeblonde.com

15. Mia says

I think that this idea is fantastic! I was just wondering what clear case it was that you used in the first picture (the one without the black rim). Thanks!!

16. Tara says

Someone should totally make a diecut for this! Hello, Ellison??? Or at least a .pdf pattern… On my next go-round, I might use a series ofhole-punches to try to open up the camera hole more neatly.

This is a great idea. I’ve been looking for ways to make my own ipad 2 covers but seem to find none. But this might work out for me. Thanks for the idea!

Annabella Merlin
    Creative Photo Albums

18. Kar says

This is a very cool idea, especially considering gummy rubber covers cost like $15 a piece and they never have the one you want.
    Griffin has the best stuff for Apple gear. I have their screen protectors and different inds of chargers too.

Amazing I can’t wait to try this! I am always looking for projects that fit me skill level and this one seems easy enough! Thank you for sharing!

I love this! I just got an Iphone and I was wondering how much was the clear case that you purchased from Best Buy? I have no income(I’m 15) so I’m on a budget… I saw a couple cases from there and they’re about $25+

21. Lacey says

Can you tell me what brand phone cover you have? I am trying to find your case and I cannot find anything similar on amazon or bestbuy.

22. Claire says

how is the case holding up? if you still use it. because i want to do this idea but i need to find a clear case! also, do you have an iphone 4s? if so, does the case fit the 4s? thank you! :D

Hey Claire. Yes, I have an iPhone 4S for my clear case and it works perfectly. The case is holding up wonderfully! I’ve had it for a year now and have had zero problems ;) Oh, and dropped it NUMEROUS times!

23. Crystal says

Love This! Have you tried cutting a picture to fit? I would like to try to find a picture of my kids to fit in the case