Mini Makeover: Crown Molding on My Kitchen Cabinets

As you all know, I’m trying to “nest for less” by revamping my house on a budget. Last week I got a new kitchen stone backsplash for around $350 in materials and I’m in LOVE.

Now to continue with my kitchen transformation we’ve added crown molding to the top of the cabinets. We just had plain oak builder grade cabinets and thought they could use a little sprucing. So here’s the before…

We were lucky to find faux oak crown molding from Lowe’s for a little over $10 for an 8ft section…and it matched our cabinets PERFECTLY!!

I had my neighbor install the crown molding since that’s a little outta my range. So here’s some after shots!

Maybe not a huge transformation for some, but I love the height it adds to the cabinets! Plus I removed the decor from above for now and everything seems crisp and clean. So here again is before and after.

We only needed 4 boards of the 8ft pieces of crown molding, YAHOO! At about $10 for each board plus another $10 for some putty. Talk about a cheap makeover!

LIKE THIS POST? FOLLOW ALONG FOR MORE…

Comments

1. Linda@Coastal Charm says

Oh my…they look soooo much better and I LOVE your backsplash. Hop over and share your thrifty makeovers at my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAY party…hope to see ya there:)

Blessings,
    Linda

I am astonished at the transformation! We have been looking at houses online and so many of them had kitchens that seemed unfinished to me. I think you helped me figure out why! Beautifully done!

• howtonestforless says

Yes, there is one area that does have a seam. We used color puddy to fill in and it matched the crown molding perfectly!!

• patti says

Looks beautiful… I found a crown that I liked too but it was only 8′ long and we have an area that is 10′ and I was worried about seeing a seam since it is a natural wood like yours — not painted which would be easer to hide a seam. From your photos it looks like it is possible. thanks for the information

3. Tammy says

I really found your site to inspire me to update my kitchen cabinets. I, too, have bland boring cabinets. I have tried everything I know (other than) crown molding atop of them. I have googled different kinds of molding and different sizes. I really like what you have done with yours. The wide molding, I think, gives a more eligent look. I am definately going to do this with mine. Thanks for sharing!

4. GG says

looks great, wow, i am getting ready for a kitchen remodel, and they want to charge me 1,600 dollars for crown molding! i was thinking if i could match the color off white, i can do it myself