Handmade Tile Coasters from Party Napkins

I first found this adorable craft from Traci over at Beneath My Heart… LOVE her site and amazing projects!

While I thought these Santa napkin coasters were absolutely adorable and cheap to create, I just couldn’t find time to create them before the holidays. So I decided to make an everyday version once the chaos of Christmas passed!

First I gathered my supplies: cocktail napkins on clearance from Target, square ceramic tiles from Lowe’s, Mod Podge, foam brushes, Minwax polycrylic and some protective casters for the bottom of the coasters.

First thing I did was measure the napkins to the top of the tiles and cut them down to size. I tried to keep the paper napkin about 1/8″ away from the edges.

Next I used a foam brush to put a light coating of Mod Podge over the single layer of the paper napkin.

I used my fingers to press down the bubbles once the entire tile was covered in Mod Podge. I decided to use this method since the napkin was very fragile and I didn’t want it to tear or become misshapen from overusing the foam brush.

I set the tile coaster aside for about 30 minutes to let it dry. Once it was ready to rock, I finished it off with a quick coat of Minwax polycrylic protective finish.

To make sure the bottom of the ceramic tiles wouldn’t scratch my tables, I used some Magic Sliders surface protectors (check out Traci’s method, too!).

And that’s it! Since I only had to purchase the ceramic tiles and the napkins I found on clearance, a brand new set of 8 handmade coasters only cost me about $4!

I love that these match my decor, plus I still have tons of leftover napkins that match perfectly! I think it’s time for a cocktail party so we can Eat, Drink & Laugh!

Comments

• howtonestforless says

So far so good!!! I’ve never had water or condensation problems while using this Minwax before. Hope that helps!

1. Hayden says

So cute! Made this today for a New Years party tomorrow night – giving them and a bottle of wine to the hostess as a gift! Thanks for an easy and wonderful gift!

What a great idea – they are so simple yet effective! and so many possibilities with the napkins you can find!

I would love if you came over and linked this project to my weekly Round Tuit party at:
    Have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

Found you through Finding Fabulous. I am kicking myself because I saw these napkins at Target today. Now I have to run back tomorrow. I saw the cute polka dot ones and also some that said sip on them…perfect! My sister just had a birthday and moved into her own place. Looks like she’ll be getting coasters, wine glasses (etched with her initial) and some wine. Thank you!!

maxwellhouseinteriors.blogspot.com

4. Kelly Love says

Hi!

I used the Minwax polyurethane (before I saw this blog) and I got a lot of little bubbles in it. Did that happen with you? Did you sand it? Then over that I used a layer or two of varnish. Do you know if just using that poly makes it so you can set a hot cup of tea on it? I get the condensation, but I don’t really mind. Maybe because it’s uber sealed with the varnish. I’m just wondering what’s best. My cousin has placed an “order” of coasters with me so I gotta deliver! Lol!

Thanks,
    Kelly

• howtonestforless says

I just used the poly and it’s held up nicely! I didn’t get any bubbles in it, but I always use very thin coats and let it dry between coats. I set my coffee on the coasters as well with no problems! Hope that helps :)

5. Meredith says

I have a question for y’all…I am planning on making a set of these this coming week as a thank-you/hostess gift, and I was wondering if I could use printed pictures instead of napkins, or what y’all thought about it? I would print the pictures on either picture paper or regular paper (again, input would be amazing!) but I wanted to use the hostess’s recent trip to Cancun as the inspiration-she has a bunch of pictures on Facebook and I was going to use those. Any thoughts?

• howtonestforless says

Meredith, you could definitely use printed photos for the coasters! It’s the same idea. I would suggest printing on laser paper from your computer, but use the rest of the steps as usual. But I absolutely LOVE this idea!! Let me know how it turns out and take some photos! :)

• Meredith says

Ah! Thank you so much! I’m uber excited, we’re making them towards the middle of the week! LOL where should I post the pictures?!