How to Thrift Like a Pro

Have you ever heard of Mr. Goodwill Hunting? I got to hear him speak at the Haven Conference and he’s famous for his thrifty fashion sense. He’s been featured on The Nate Berkus Show numerous times, and his sense of style is out of this world!

Now I can’t share all of his fabulous Thrifting tips that he shared with us (I was too busy staring at his shoes instead of writing detailed notes), but I can give you a few… plus some of my own!

Keep a list on hand of what you need. Don’t just go shopping to shop; go with a detailed list of wants vs. needs. Having a pre-plan will help you navigate the store better and keep you on your budget.

Know what you’re about to buy. Bring your iPhone or smart phone with you so you can research on the spot. Look up the brand name on the internet so you can make sure you’re getting the best possible price of retail compared to resale.

source

There are a lot of thrift store and resale options besides Goodwill and the Salvation Army. Remember that the larger stores can be overpriced, too. Research your area and find the smaller resale stores that should have competitive pricing. Also shop your local Craigslist and yard sales for goodies

Last week I was shopping at Goodwill and found a lovely dresser with ornate detailing for sale. Price tag? $275! Um… keep in mind that some items are over priced and you should just walk away. If thrifters pay that top dollar, prices will raise across the board.

Remember that not everything is always as it seems. You might find an amazing ornate mirror but it’s just not the right color. Paint it! Or use a really modern dresser for a TV console instead! Think outside the box.

source

If you’re friendly with the sales associates, they might tell you about some extra items they have in the back warehouse that hasn’t been put on the store floor yet. Also, a friendly sales associate might give you some insider tips, like when furniture is going to be marked 50% off.

Make sure if you’re buying a huge hutch for your dining room you can get it home. If you don’t have a truck or an SUV, make sure you have a friend or family member that can help. You also might want to ask the thrift store if they have any delivery service (although the charge may not be worth it).

Sometimes you can haggle with the thrift store employees for a discount. If you’ve been to the same shop for over a week and keep seeing that dining room table, ask for a discount! Remember that these stores always have new stock coming in and they need to get rid of what’s on the floor. But… you might have a harder time getting some big bucks off your purchase if you’re carrying your Coach purse and wearing your Prada shoes. Dress like you need the discount.

source

Thrift stores are changing out their stock. Just because you see a coffee table for sale doesn’t mean it’s the perfect coffee table for your home. Make sure you shop each store often to find exactly what you’re looking for. Don’t settle!

Have you ever found a beautiful chair at Goodwill that you just had to purchase, finally got it home and it didn’t fit your space? Yeah, happens to the best of us. One of the most important rules is measure before you buy! Go shopping with exact measurements of your space in hand, and then bring a tape measure with you so there’s no second guessing yourself.

So, have you gotten any cool new items recently while thrifting?
What’s your favorite store to shop?

how to thrift like a pro

Comments

“Dress like you need the discount.” – Love that thought! :) Hard to do sometimes when you are out shopping/doing other things too (and yes, I have a coach purse that I sometimes leave in the car – lol!)

Was fun sitting by you and laughing in this session – he was so funny! Don’t think I expected him to be so funny!

• Bryant says

Just remember if you are leaving your bags in the car to put them in the trunk. Smash and grabs are common in thrift store parking lots. “it wont happen to me!” think again, thieves are non-discriminatory, especially if you just left your COACH purse out on the passenger seat.
      I’m just a concerned citizen. I drive a Jeep Wrangler that is commonly a target of attempted theft. I have learned the hard way a few times, and been really lucky several more. I see people making thoughtless mistakes every day and I am just here with a friendly reminder of how you can protect yourself and your car.

I have always wanted one of those old metal desks with the chair attached to it. I have looked and looked. Then I stopped looking. Last summer while dropping items off at the Salvation Army my husband went in and at the window holds up one of those desks. I started clapping and jumping up and down like a 4 year old on his birthday! And here is the best part! It was only $2.95.

I took that beauty home and spray painted it blue. My son loves it! I do too.

Erin,

Thank you for taking notes and sharing them with us. Good tip on the measuring. Bringing along a notebook with color swatches or having photos in your phone is also a big help. Sometimes the color in a fabric looks like it might match and then once home it doesn’t. Grrrr!

Marie
    P.S., You have a really nice website. :-)

I also never thought about what I was wearing while in a thrift store, but it completely makes sense! I’m very new to the whole thrifting scene, so these tips are very handy for a newbie like me :)
    I saw Mr. Goodwill Hunting on Nate Berkus once and let me say…what he can do with thrifted items is amazing! Definitely an inspiration!

These are some awesome tips! I’ve been looking for nightstands and have had awful luck :( I’m definitely going to try some of these tips next time I am out and about!

Love this post! I love thrifting, garage sales and craigslist and I definitely think one of the best things to do is be able to say “NO”! It may be a great deal, but not right for your space, just like you said. It’s also so important to keep an open mind like you said, paint the mirror, re-purpose the side table or whatever. There are definitely buried treasures out there!

I love it. I thought your were joking at first…Mr. Goodwill hunting. Love him. Great tips. I failed at number one. I never have a plan. That probably explains all this stuff in my house! I have number 8 down….without even trying! lol. These are really good reminders. I’ll have to go today and test them out. ;) I am happy to be a new follower. Found you on Homework’s linky party.

8. olivia says

I found an awesome Lulu lemon gym bag for 6$ I lookked it up on my phone while shopping regular $45 and it stll had the tag! Def worth having a smartphone
    sometimes

Don’t forget if you buy upholstered furniture that you could also be bringing home bedbugs or fleas. And beside the Thrift Stores and Yard Sales, Estate Sales are a way to go.

10. Marianne Lynch says

Don’t forget about local ReStores that benefit Habitat for Humanity. They have furniture, cabinets, housewares and building supplies. Since there are 800 around the country, they are a DIY must shop experience! You can find an awesome item and help someone get or repair a home.

11. Debra says

Great tips. I do them all. Also, I keep hand sanitizer with me & I use re-usable grocery bags instead of a purse with a couple extra inside to carry my treasures home in. The stores, especially small ones, appreciate me bringing my own bags. I don’t like to carry more than I need. A few of my finds: Isabella Fiore purse in “new” condition for $7.99 & a 10×12 Karastan rug for $12.98. I believe everything has at least one more rebirth left in it. I love to look past the paint & imagine what it can become. Happy Thrifting. It’s my addiction. I need a weekly fix!!! :-)

12. Sue says

Erin,

These are great tips and one time a customer at Feed My People asked if I worked there…did a really good job of dressing down that time!

13. Kristi says

Thank you so much for these words of wisdom. I love getting a great deal just like everyone else, but really needed this advice.