No Longer Seeing Red

The very first thing we painted when we moved into our home over 6 years ago was the continuous wall running from our Dining Room to our Kitchen.

We’ve had red as an accent color throughout our home, but now I’m ready for a change. I’m ready to lighten everything up. Live lighter and brighter.

I love the color I just painted my craft room so decided to use the same shade on the old red accent wall. It’s called Sea Salt from Sherwin Williams.

What I love about this shade is that it looks different in every light. It can go from from a bright desatured green with a hint of blue during the day to a darker grayish green at night. LOVE, seriously.

So, lighter and brighter thus far?

I still have a LOT of changes to make… we’re adding board & batten next weekend, need to update the lighting fixture, find a centerpiece, and hopefully someday soon get a new dining room table. I’ve been eyeing this one from World Market.

I added a little photo gallery on the accent wall. All of the photos are actually of my daughter (taken by Kristine Lynn Photography), and I kinda like how they’re detail shots and not just her face. Doesn’t seem so overly creepy that I have three huge photos of my daughter in my dining room!

I got the four vases from Goodwill for $3.00 total. I just painted the insides white with acrylic paint that I had in my craft stash.

So here’s the before with the red wall… and here’s the after!

Like I said, next week I’m starting some board & batten along that wall. Can’t wait to show you! Oh, and I mentioned that this wall runs into my kitchen, but I’ll save that reveal for another day :)

LIKE THIS POST? FOLLOW ALONG FOR MORE…

Comments

Your color choice really brightened the whole area up! I’m working my way through my home right now, updating paint colors. I can’t wait to see how your board and batten turns out. I’m considering doing that on a wall in our kitchen. Good luck!

I love SW Sea Salt….it is one of my favorites. I have been adding alot of sea glass colors to my home lately. So soothing and beautiful and remind me of the beach…my favorite place to be!

Uh, when should I expect my formal dinner invitation to arrive? Because I would TOTALLY eat in this dining room. The red dining room? Eh, not so much. The new sea salt dining room? Slap a roast in the oven because I’m comin’ over!

What a beautiful color! We painted our bathroom a similar color, and I love that I can use both blue and green things with it. Very calming and versatile, and I’ll have to say that those photos of your daughter are just precious!

Oh, I love that colour! I’ll be stealing that one for my laundry room (the one room I have all to myself!!!). You know what, I really like your dining table. I wouldn’t get rid of it! I love the straight lines and the simplicity of it all. Maybe you should consider recovering or slipcovering your chairs instead…. just a thought to save you $$$$… anyway, I read your blog all the time! Thanks for sharing!

Erin – love the update. I’ve been systematically lightening up our rooms, too. It’s amazing what a difference it makes. I wanted to let you know that I awarded you with the One Lovely Blog and Very Inspiring Blogger Awards. I know you’re super established compared to the Modern Parsonage, but you were one of the first to come to mind, so I just had to give them to you :) Congrats!

7. Teri C says

Wow Erin! I just love your courage! :o) I SO want to “go” there, but I’m scared to death of anything that leans towards a pastel. I’ve got olive green, terra-cotta, golds, and reds throughout, and it took everything I had to venture away from antique white that was literally EVERYWHERE. And now, after seeing what the lighter and brighter is doing for you, I think I’d like to find that “decorating nerve” again….lol! My hubby would love those shades.

I just love what you did. It absolutely gives the “feel” of your home a major transformation!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Teri C

Love it! I really liked the red wall and couldn’t imagine what it would look like without the red, but that color is great! It looks very different from what is in your craft room too!
    I have been changing some paint colors in my home too and going lighter. My next couple of projects are my mud room and then the kitchen.

Erin, your dining room looks so pretty with it’s new color! I used to love a red wall also, but little by little I’ve been lightening up our home too and love the way it feels – fresh and bright. Hope you enjoy your space!

10. Janel@hatingmartha says

The color looks spool much brighter and lighter! The pictures of your daughter are darling and should be shown off!

Love that color! Looks like a whole new room with just a few small changes. I am also on a mission to make our home more lighter and bright. I will definately keep this color in mind!

12. CHRISTYN says

Wow I love that color choice…i think i would have tried leaving the blue curtains up though…they would really bring that bluish green tint out i think:) Thanks for always sharing your amazing projects!!!

It really makes your dining room seem bigger. It looks beautiful. I love the red but I also love the change you’ve made. Enjoy! Megan