Kitchen Accent Table {1st Project with Wood Icing™}

front of drawersI’m in the process of switching my kitchen over to a lighter color scheme. I had this little accent table sitting in there, mostly holding my tupperware and some serving pieces. Since I don’t have a lot of cabinets, I really wanted to keep this table… just switch it up a bit!

before and after tableI started by painting the main part of the table white and the drawers in ASCP Duck Egg Blue, but it didn’t have enough pizzazz.

And I’ve mentioned in the past that I purchase all of my Annie Sloan Chalk Paint supplies from a local store called Wood Icing, but did you know that Wood Icing is actually the name of a product they created? Yep! So I decided to give it a whirl.

I gathered my supplies:

• Wood Icing textura paste
  • Textured shelf liner
  • Off set knife
  • Spray bottle filled with water
  • Plastic spreader
  • Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (duck egg blue and country grey)

wood icingThe Wood Icing textura paste is a faux finish that can transform your furniture, cabinets and more. You can create your design using stencils, lace, or anything with texture.

apply wood icingTo begin I spread the Wood Icing textura paste all over the table drawers using the off set knife (remove all your hardware first!). Don’t worry about the paste being perfectly smooth. Looks like peanut butter, doesn’t it?

For the faux finish I wanted an allover texture. I spotted some shelf liner at Lowe’s and thought I’d give it a whirl. Yep, cheap & easy.

Next I generously sprayed down my textured shelf liners with water and pressed it into the table drawer. Once I had it positioned, I ran over the backside of the shelf liner with my plastic spreader.

When I peeled up the shelf liner up it left this cool pattern!

Do you notice there’s no holes for the knobs? To fix I pressed my screws through the back side of the drawer where the old holes were and the dried textura popped right out!

Now I was ready for some color! I painted the top and bottom drawers in Duck Egg Blue and the middle in the Country Grey (which is really more of a tan).

annie sloan chalk paintI attached the original hardware and I’m done!

wood icing table frontSo, what do you think?

drawer knobHere’s a bunch of photos!

wood icing drawers

drawer side view

completed wood icing tableI’m haven’t waxed the piece yet. I’m trying to decided if I want to do some dark wax to bring out the texture even more, or just coat with some clear wax. I’ll let it sit for a bit and decide down the road.

Yeah, I was a little nervous about painting over such a beautiful table before, but I’m really happy with the end result! And I can’t wait to use more Wood Icing™ in the future! Very cool faux finish. You can actually order it online by clicking here!

front of drawers

TEXTURED DRAWER MAKEOVER

Comments

I love this! We’ll be changing the dresser/changing table in my son’s room and I was thinking about putting it in our dining space as a buffet. While the black would still match the furniture, giving it a little treatment would really spruce up the piece. Thanks for sharing!

Oh my gosh Erin I love everything about this. I facebooked and pinned it. The colors are gorgeous and I think the texture is amazing. I have never heard of that product but that gives such a great effect!

Wow, I had no idea something could do that to wood. It is super cool, and you did a great job! Love the new color scheme :)

I’d be absolutely tickled if you came by my “place” for a visit, http://www.myclevernest.com.

(the normal tickled, not the creepy kind.)

<3 Alyssa

4. Mar says

That looks so much better! I have such a bad habit of starting projects and not finishing them. I’m really loving the texture part of it.

Im a New follower from the networking blog hop. Swing by for a visit when you can!
    Mar

What a wonderful transformation! I love the finish that the “icing” gave. It is wonderful!!! I’m going to have to get some to try….. Excited to be following you, now! Found you at Live. Laugh. Rowe’s weekend hop. Hope you can visit soon?! Have a great week!

I am very impressed with your first Wood Icing project Great job and I love the creativity with the shelf liner for the texture. I really like the choice of Chalk Paint(TM) colors. I vote for the clear wax. This looks so fresh and clean. Thanks for sharing!!

Oh my gosh Erin, that is amazing! Especially for your first try. It is such a treat to see what other people think of to use for texture ideas with Wood Icing.Thank you for writing about our shop and Wood Icing. I agree with Rose (my mom) clear wax for sure.

I love your clever use of the Wood Icing – creating texture with a shelf liner, genius!! Those Annie Sloan paints rock. I did a child size chair in the Duck Egg (using Wood Icing Fissure which causes the cracking, oh YUM). Anyway, I chose the dark wax because I wanted more of a vintage look. It is really lovely, not too dark at all, subtle in a way that brings out depth without overwhelming it. You can’t go wrong with either color of wax, I think it mainly depends on the context of your room.

That is absolutely gorgeous! I have never heard of wood icing before, but I love it! I love the texture and the depth it gave your piece. I also love the colors you chose for it!…pretty jealous of it!

-peggy

I love that stuff! Must try it on something soon! TFS. Won’t you stop by and share at Totally Transformed Tuesday. I know my readers would love to see. Hope to see you there. Peggy

Your table looks amazing! I’m intrigued, I’m going to have to look into that wood icing stuff…so.many.possibilities. I am curious as to how it would hold up to toddler abuse though…if the icing would chip of crack. Update us if it does!

Gorgeous job Erin! I’ve never heard of wood icing… i’m definitely intrigued to want to try some! Love the light color combo!

13. Tara Cashion says

I am so glad I saw this post on Centsational Girl’s blog. I love the textured look and can’t wait to try the wood icing.

Wow, never heard of “Wood Icing”, but it is definitely something I will be checking out. It would be great for covering up “blemishes” on wood…the possibilities are endless. I am sure I am not the first to “pin” this, but I hope it is okay!

I just found your blog through Stories from A to Z and I love what you did to your table!! It’s fantastic!! Has the texture on the front of your cabinet held up? I would love to know if you have had an chipping?? Itching to find something to try this on! Love it!

Hi Suezi. Yes, the finished has held up perfectly! No chips at all that I’ve noticed (although the texture does hide imperfections quite well). I would highly recommend! I’m going to be starting another project with Wood Icing soon. I’ve been itching to try it again!

Hi Erin,
    I absolutely love your project and wanted to let you know I featured it on my new site Details. A sister site to Homework, Details will spotlight beautiful projects that have the little “details” that make them extremely special. I’d love for you to stop by and take a look. http://carolynsdetails.blogspot.com/
    Carolyn