Hand Painted Flower Wine Glasses

I always love having a momento for special occasions like wedding showers and birthdays. One of my favorite things to make is painted wine glasses for each of my guests. I have an upcoming Summer Girls Retreat with some of my best friends and Plaid was nice enough to send me a bunch of great supplies to complete my project!

To get the rest of my supplies I headed to Walmart. I was shocked at how many Plaid Crafts products were available in their aisles!

Items you’ll need:

• Plaid Folk Art acrylic paint
  • Plaid paintbrushes (variety pack)
  • Wine glasses (4 pack for $5 from Walmart)
  • Mod Podge acrylic sealer spray (non-waterbase)

To begin, choose your paint colors for the wine glass and put a little dollop of each color on a palette or paper plate. Turn your wine glass upside down to it is easier to handle.

Using a smaller Plaid paintbrush, paint the small center of the flower with short strokes on the outside of the wine glass.

Now you’re ready to start layering colors. Starting about halfway up the yellow center, start painting small strokes with your second light based color (I chose light pink). It’s ok if your paint strokes are uneven; it will help your flowers look whimsical!

Now start adding the darker tones to the base of the flower to give it some depth. I also added green and yellow tones to the stem of the wine glass in horizontal stripes for fun!

Since Plaid Folk Art paints are acrylic, you’ll need to seal the paint to the glass so it doesn’t chip or flake off. I used Mod Podge acrylic sealer spray. To easily apply this to the wine glasses, I sprayed some of it into a small cup and applied to the glass with a paintbrush just over the painted areas. Let dry for 24-48 hours before use.

And that’s it! Beautiful hand painted wine glasses for just a couple of bucks!

Please remember that these wine glasses are not dishwasher safe. Hand wash only.

All of the Plaid supplies I used can be found at Walmart, including the wine glasses. LOVE getting all of my shopping done in one place!

I created another little project to go along with these wine glasses that I’ll be sharing TOMORROW! Stay tuned :)

To stay up-to-date with all of Plaid’s available products and projects, you can find them here:

I wrote this post as part of a paid campaign with Plaid Crafts and Blueprint Social. The opinions in this post are my own.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like this post? Follow along for more…

Image Map

Comments

Hi Erin –
    These are just delightful – so bright and cheery – perfect for setting a summer time table or having the girls over for a wine and cheese party. They look like something you could buy at Bloomingdales or Neimans.
    My best- Diane

2. Lindsey says

Cute! I love this to save a couple of dollars, dollar tree sells different sized and styles of wine glasses and other glasses as well!

These are so pretty, looks better then the ones you buy at the store. I tried making these last year for my girlfriends birthday and they were a total bust, Now I know who to go to :) Thanks for linking up. I just featured them on my fb.
    XO
    Kristin

4. cheryl johnson says

luv these glasses, have to make some for myself …do you have any ideas what i might paint for favors for a “tiffany themed bridal shower” i am doing for my daughter…you are a very talented young lady!

Oooh, for a Tiffany’s bridal shower? You could paint the glasses with Tiffany blue flowers. Or a ribbon motif (like the blue box with white ribbon). Or diamond rings! That sounds lovely!!! Send me a pic when they’re complete ;)

These are lovely and would make great gifts! I will be trying this as soon as I can get to Walmart for supplies! Thanks for the very clear tutorial and the good pictures, makes it so much easier to follow!

These glasses are so darn cute! I love the impressionistic look of the petals! It’s my dream to have someone send me supplies to I can use them for projects on my blog ;)

Thanks Karen! It is fantastic to try new products from brands and share with my readers. Keep truckin’ along gaining followers and I bet they’ll be contacting you in no time! :)

7. Tracilynne says

Hi Erin,
    These are lovely! I, too, enjoy painting wine glasses and have a question…
    When you applied the acrylic sealer, did you paint it slightly beyond the paint edges? I would think that if you didn’t, the paint could still lift. I currently use the enamels that you bake on, but red, for whatever reason, likes to feather, which ruins some of my designs. I’m hoping your method could be an alternative solution. Thanks very much!!! :-)

8. JoAnn says

Are you blending colors at all? Mine look solid at the bottom and it seems like yours have some shading. I’m not sure how to do that.

9. Casi McAllister says

Hi! I hope the blog is still going for my question! Did you seal entire glass? And is it safe to drink from being sealed all the way? Or did you tape off top and seal below that line for food use? Thanks so much! These are beautiful!